The annual statement will be generated each year in May
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure
- The annual infection control audit summary and actions undertaken
- Control risk assessments undertaken
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention & control
- Details of infection control advise to patients
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines.
Westwood Road Health Centre Lead for Infection Prevention /Control Lead is Sara Lang, Practice Nurse, who is supported by Jane Goddard, Practice Manager
This team keep updated with infection prevention & control practices and share necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past year 2018/2019 there have been no significant events that related to infection prevention & control.
Infection Control audits were undertaken by South Reading Infection Control Nurse Jennie Leleux , and, any changes to be made within the practice implemented as a result.
Regular risk assessments are undertaken to minimise the risk of infection and to ensure the safety of patients and staff. The following risk assessments related to infection prevention & control have been completed in the past year and appropriate actions have been taken:
- Control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH)
- Disposal of waste
- Sharps injury
- Use of personal protective clothing/equipmen
- Legionella risk assessment
100% of the Practice Clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention & control update training
100% of the Practice non-clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention & control update training.
Infection Control Advice to Patients:
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout Westwood Road Health Centre
There are leaflets available at Westwood Road Health Centre on:
- MRSA – Norovirus
- Chickenpox & shingles – Influenza
- The importance of immunisations (e.g. in childhood and in preparation for overseas travel)
- Recognising symptoms of TB
Policies, procedures and guidelines.
Documents related to infection prevention & control are reviewed in line with national and local guidance changes and are updated 2-yearly (or sooner in the event on new guidance).