INFECTION CONTROL ANNUAL STATEMENT 31/10/2017
The annual statement will be generated each year in October
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure
- The annual infection control Audit summary and actions undertaken;
- Control risk assessments undertaken;
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention & control;
- Details of infection control advice to patients;
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines.
Westwood Road Surgery Lead for Infection Prevention /Control is Sara Lang, Practice Nurse, who is supported by Jane Goddard, Practice Manager
This team keep updated with infection prevention & control practices and share necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past year 2017 there have been no significant events that related to infection prevention & control.
Regular risk assessments are undertaken to minimise the risk of infection and to ensure the safety of patients and staff. The following risk assessments related to infection prevention & control have been completed in the past year and appropriate actions have been taken:
- Control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH)
- Disposal of waste
- Sharps injury
- Use of personal protective clothing/equipment
- Risk of body fluid spills
- Legionella risk assessment
All new staff joined this Surgery in the past 12-months and received infection control and hand-washing training within one month of employment.
100% of the Practice staff have completed their annual infection prevention & control update training .
The Infection Control Leads attended training updates for their role provided by Michaela Hooper (the Infection Prevention & Control Nurse for Berkshire West CCGs).
Infection Control Advice to Patients:
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout the Medical Centre/Surgery.
There are posters available in the Surgery on:
- Chickenpox & shingles
- The importance of immunisations (e.g. in childhood and in preparation for overseas travel)
Policies, procedures and guidelines.
Documents related to infection prevention & control are reviewed in line with national and local guidance changes and are updated 2-yearly (or sooner in the event on new guidance).
Click here to download the full infection control policy.